Getting the most out of your storage space is important. One of the ways to save space is by making sure your videos are in 720p format. Already recorded your best take and it was in HD? No problem, you can adjust the size of your video on your computer. Keep reading to learn how.
There are two basic ways to resize media on a computer running any macOS or Windows OS. First is via Quicktime (Mac Only) or via Microsoft Clipchamp (Windows Only), a video editing software that comes pre-installed on computers running Windows 11. The second is via a free online video compression website.
Video Compression - Quicktime (macOS ONLY)
3. Then choose your desired file size, ideally, 720p to keep a somewhat clear resolution.
4. Then choose the location you want the new compressed file to go to. And hit SAVE.
Video Compression - Microsoft Clipchamp (Windows OS ONLY)
1. Find the video file in your File Explorer. Then, right-click the file, over Open With, and select Microsoft Clipchamp.
2. Once the file is opened in Clipchamp, you will be able to see the video in the Preview window as well as on the editing Timeline. You can type the name you would like to select for the video in the textbox at the top left. This will default to reading Untitled video.
3. Once you have named your video what you would like it to be, click on the Export button at the top right of your screen.
4. Once you have clicked on Export, you will see a list of options for video quality of the export. We recommend setting this as either 480p or 720p as both of those resolutions will retain the quality of the original video while also sufficiently resizing the original footage.
5. The video will then export the file and save the copy in your Downloads folder.
6. Open your Downloads folder, and you will see the exported video.
Free Online Video Compressor (Both macOS and Windows OS)
If you are not particularly tech-savvy, there is also an option to utilize a free online video compression website. If you search the following phrase, "Free Video Compressor" in your chosen search engine, you will see a large number of different third-party websites to choose from (After the top sponsored websites). The majority of these websites are free and easy to use - you simply upload your desired video onto the platform and select compress.
Please note: There are a few free websites that also give users "Advanced" options, so you can choose before you compress the desired file size you want.
The website will then take a few moments to compress your video and allow you to download the new compressed version. Most of these sites will also let you know the new size of the video, so you will know if you have enough room to upload it for your audition.
Note - Please be aware that using some of these third-party free video compression websites do have many pop-ups and ads that may be harmful to your machine. Always be sure that your virus protection is up-to-date before visiting an unknown website.
For tips and more info on maximizing your storage please see the following article:
Tips on Maximizing Storage Space